Every year, about 2000 Canadians die and about 116,000 suffer a personal injury in car accidents, according to Canadian Motor Vehicle Traffic Collision Statistics. More than 29 percent of drivers and 25 percent of passengers who die in car accidents, weren’t wearing a seatbelt. If you live in rural Canada, you’re 22 percent more likely to be involved in a fatal car accident. Canadians in urban areas are 66 percent more likely to be injured in a car accident.
Unfortunately, our brutal winters and treacherous roads make it even more difficult to avoid accidents. If you find yourself in this situation, the following tips will help prevent future issues or regrets.
What Should I do if I’ve Been in a Car Accident?
- Stay Calm! Take a moment before getting out of your car to ensure you and any passengers haven’t been injured.
- Medical Attention! Seek medical assistance immediately if there are injuries.
- Safety First! Be aware of further danger as you exit your vehicle.
- Take it all in! When you can safely do so, inspect the scene and gather evidence (such as photos). Note road conditions and collect contact information from witnesses.
- Insurance! Notify your insurance provider as soon as possible after the accident.
- Call a Lawyer! If you’re injured, contact a personal injury lawyer while the details are fresh in your mind. In Canada, you may be able to sue for income loss, pain & suffering, or medical & rehabilitation costs.
??? Have you ever been in a serious car accident? Please share your experience and the lessons you learned.
Please drive carefully as we make our way through another Canadian Winter!
© CanadianFamily.net – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website. We are participants in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.