I’m all about shortcuts, at least when I can take them without a negative impact. I love automation and tips that save time and effort, especially during busy times like the holiday season. Following is a list of tips and an infographic to help make your season that much brighter and your workload lighter!
25 Holiday Season Hacks for Your Home
- Pick up fallen tree needles with duct tape.
- Clean dust off tinsel or artificial Christmas trees by placing nylon stockings (pantyhose) over the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner. We keep a Ninja handheld vacuum within reach for quick cleanups throughout the holiday season.
- Use a soft paintbrush to dust fragile decorations.
- Tree sap will come out of carpets easier if you harden it with hand sanitizer, hairspray or ice before scraping it off.
- Wrap tree lights around cardboard for easier detangling next year.
- Store fragile ornaments in plastic cups or wrap them in used wrapping paper to protect them.
- Display holiday cards out of the way by tacking a few feet of ribbon to the wall or mantle and hanging cards over it.
- Have a wrapping paper pickup party by turning it into a game for kids.
- Place a sheet under the tree to catch glitter and other messes as kids unwrap their gifts.
- Use a large paper clip to keep wrapping paper rolls from unwinding.
- Keep ribbons neatly rolled with a paper clip.
- Keep a few signed Christmas cards ready for unexpected guests.
- Soak silverware in a mix of baking soda and salt to bring back their shine.
- Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide makes roaster cleanup quick & painless.
- Defrost & clean your freezer to make sure there’s plenty of room for leftovers.
- A lint roller quickly cleans up upholstery.
- Keep a package of cleaning wipes handy for spot cleaning and disinfecting.
- Bring in the smell of the holiday season with candles. For example, I burn evergreen scented candles to compensate for my artificial Christmas tree.
- Pour a can of cola into your toilet bowl and let it sit for about an hour before flushing the buildup away.
- Remove artificial snow with a ceramic scraper, then clean up residue with a solution of 2 parts water and 1 part vinegar.
- After the holiday, you can use duct tape or a lint roller to pick up glitter and other small bits. I tackle it all effortlessly using the Shark® AI VACMOP™ Robot.
- A bowl of hot water & vinegar or lemon juice left out over night will help to clear unpleasant odours.
- If candle wax drips onto your table, place a paper towel over it and heat with a hairdryer to remove it.
- Empty all of the water from the tree stand using a turkey baster to avoid spillage during removal.
- Wrap tape around a butter knife (double sided or sticky side out) to grab crumbs or dust from small crevices.
Check out our Christmas Cookin’ Hacks for more clever tips!
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website. We are participants in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.