Keep Pets Safe Throughout the Holiday Season

The holiday season is filled with so much joy and wonder, it’s easy to forget that it could spell disaster for pets.  Danger lurks everywhere for our furry friends, from holiday food to Christmas trees.  We’ve compiled this list of warnings and tips to help prevent a holiday disaster at your house.

Keep Pets Safe Throughout the Holiday Season

Red Christmas Light ClipartPlants such as mistletoe, ivy, lilies and holly berries can be poisonous to pets:

– Holly is potentially fatal.
– Mistletoe upsets the stomach & can cause heart collapse.
– Sap from Poinsettias can cause mouth blistering.
– Hibiscus can trigger diarrhea.

Green Christmas Light ClipartSupervise all candles – pets are attracted to light in a dark room.

Yellow Christmas Light ClipartCrowds of people and holiday festivities can frighten animals. Consider the animals and keep pets in another room if they are nervous around strangers or crowds.

Blue Christmas Light ClipartDispose of all bows, yarn and curling ribbons to prevent swallowing and intestinal blockage, or strangulation. Labradors and Beagles are especially well known for eating inappropriate objects. Cats may eat them while playing.

Red Christmas Light ClipartExposed wiring can electrocute a curious animal who chews on it. Use Bitter apple to deter chewing, or encase cords and electrical plugs inside PVC tubing.

Green Christmas Light ClipartRearrangement of furniture around the house for the holidays may cause your feline to stop using the litter box.

Yellow Christmas Light ClipartPets are not garbage disposals for holiday left-overs. Any sudden change of diet, even for just one meal, can give your dog or cat stomach pain and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals, whose digestive systems are often more delicate and nutritional requirements more strict.

Blue Christmas Light ClipartWhile a little turkey or chicken won’t harm your pet, be very careful of cooked bones which can splinter and cause intestinal blockage or internal lacerations. Pork bones can also wreak havoc. The FDA recently advised that all bones, cooked or raw, be avoided.

Red Christmas Light ClipartLarge quantities of chocolate can be highly toxic to dogs, especially dark chocolate.

Green Christmas Light ClipartBeware of simmering potpourri or potpourri oil. Most potpourri liquids contain natural or essential oils, which if ingested can cause vomiting, stomach upset, diarrhea, weakness, and possibly liver damage. Some products also contain cationic detergents, in which case the symptoms tend to be much worse. In most cases received by the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center, cats are often exposed to potpourri oils by rubbing against leaky bottles or pots containing the oil, or from spilling the oil containing pots over themselves.

Yellow Christmas Light ClipartAluminum foil that has been wrapped around meat and disposable baking pans might be attractive to a pet, but do not let your companion near these — ingestion of aluminum foil may cause vomiting, intestinal blockage or even more serious problems.

Blue Christmas Light ClipartBull Terriers have an odd habit of going under the Christmas tree to enjoy the branches on their back, but then go into a trance that may be a partial seizure.

Red Christmas Light ClipartResist the temptation to tie holiday ribbons around your pet’s neck. The ribbon can twist and tighten, causing choking or strangulation. Pets can hang themselves if the ribbon gets caught on an object.

Green Christmas Light ClipartPets LOVE to open presents and you don’t know what’s in there that could harm them. Lock the presents or the pets up when you are not home to supervise.

Yellow Christmas Light ClipartBatteries contain a highly corrosive acid that can burn a pet’s mouth if it leaks or the container is broken by chewing. Keep them stored safely away.

Blue Christmas Light ClipartMetal ornament hooks can get caught in curious mouths. Use ribbon or yarn instead of hooks to hang Christmas ornaments.

Red Christmas Light ClipartCranberry and popcorn strands can be deadly to pets, causing intestinal obstruction or get wrapped around your pet’s neck.

Green Christmas Light ClipartTinsel can cause intestinal obstruction and blockage if swallowed.

Yellow Christmas Light ClipartGlass balls can shatter in an animal’s mouth. Broken pieces can cut and be deadly if ingested.

Blue Christmas Light ClipartAngel hair is spun glass, and will shred the intestines if swallowed.

Red Christmas Light ClipartArtificial snow or flocking can be ingested or inhaled and caught in the nasal passages.

Green Christmas Light ClipartDo not use moth balls to deter your cat from climbing the Christmas tree, digging in your holiday plants or scaling garlands. They are highly toxic and if even a little is ingested it could have serious consequences.

Yellow Christmas Light ClipartA bowl of fresh lemon peels at the base of the Christmas tree can deter curious kitties, plus add a nice scent to your festivities.

Blue Christmas Light ClipartA Christmas tree should stand in a flat, wide base. You might also want to anchor the tree with fishing line tied to drapery rods, a ceiling or wall hook. Cats often see trees as fabulous climbing posts. If your kitty shows a penchant for this activity, decorate with animal-safe items such as dried flowers, pine cones or fabric and wood ornaments. You also might want to consider putting the tree in a room with doors that close.

——————————————

© CanadianFamily.netContent on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.

DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website. We are participants in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca.

COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.

Save

Save

3 Responses to "Keep Pets Safe Throughout the Holiday Season"

  1. Colin  December 12, 2016

    It’s enough to make you want to cancel Christmas! My poor babies! We’ll make it work!

    Reply
  2. Mark  November 8, 2016

    For those buying a live Christmas trees this year, keep the area free and clear of pine needles. While they may not seem dangerous, the needles can puncture your pet s intestines if ingested.

    Reply
  3. Jasmine  February 1, 2015

    I’m surprised to read tips I didn’t hear about before, thanks!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.