Canadian gardeners are getting excited about the coming growing season. As you plan your planting, it’s important to be aware of what can make your pets sick (or even kill them).
10 Pet Poisons Lurking in Your Spring Garden
- Fertilizers may contain organophosphates like disulfoton, which can cause severe digestive upset, respiratory distress, seizures and death. Consider a natural, organic fertilizer like Kelp Meal instead.
- Bone meal can cause a gastrointestinal obstruction in pets.
- Blood meal can cause pancreatitis, digestive upset, or iron toxicity.
- Elemental Iron-fortified fertilizers may cause iron toxicity if ingested, resulting in liver damage, heart damage, and severe digestive upset.
- Pesticides are one of the more obvious dangers that most pet parents are aware of. They can cause irritation or even death if they contain certain ingredients (such as organophosphate)
- Tiger Lilies, Day Lilies, Japanese Show Lilies, Asiatic Lilies, and Easter Lilies cause kidney failure in cats. Peace Lilies, Peruvian Lilies, and Calla Lilies can irritate the mouth and esophagus.
- Lily of the Valley has cardiac glycosides that can cause severe digestive upset, irregular heartbeat, or seizures.
- Tulip and Hyacinth bulbs contain toxic alkaloids.
- Daffodil flowers contain the alkaloid lycorine, which can cause severe digestive upset, irregular heartbeat or respiratory distress in pets.
- Crocuses (Spring blooming) can cause digestive upset.
It pays to research before adding any plant or chemical to your garden. When in doubt, contact your veterinarian.
??? How do you protect your pets from Spring dangers? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
© CanadianFamily.net – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website. We are participants in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.ca.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.